How to link Planner plan to PPM Express project
This article describes how to add a Planner connection to PPM Express and link the PPM Express project to the Planner plan.
If you would like to import a number of projects at once from Microsoft Planner to PPM Express, please refer to this article.
To add Planner connection to PPM Express and link PPM Express Project to Planner plan, perform the following:
1. Open the PPM Express project that you would like to link to the Planner plan and press the Link Project button.
2. On the 'Link to Project' tab select Planner Plan option.
3. Open the Connection drop-down and select Grant Permissions option.
Please note: In order to add Microsoft Planner connection and link PPM Express projects to Planner plans, tenant Global Administrator consent is required. Consent should be granted to PPM Express once, before adding Planner connections. Once the permission is granted, the Planner connection can be created with any user account credentials in PPM Express regardless of user account permissions. For more details refer to this article.
Enter tenant Global administrator credentials in order to grant the required permissions. If you do not have a Global administrator account for Planner, please refer to the Admin Team in your organization.
In the next window that appears click Accept to grant PPM Express app with the permissions required.
When the connection is established between PPM Express and Office 365 Planner, PPM Express will get the following permissions:
- Read data from Plans in Microsoft Office 365 Planner that are accessible by a Connection Account (read permissions);
- Create Plans in PPM Express and connect Plans to a plan group in Microsoft Office 365 Planner (write permissions);
- Read data Office 365 groups that are accessible by a Connection Account;
- Create new Office 365 groups.
4. Once the permissions are granted, you can add a connection by opening Connection drop-down again and clicking Add new connection option.
5. Specifying user account credentials for Planner.
Please note: Office 365 account used as a connection should meet the following requirements:
- Should have access to the Planner groups, users and plans you want to sync and be a member of each Planner group you want to sync.
- It is recommended that the user should open the plans that need to be synchronized at least once. If the user has not opened the plan yet, there is a workaround described below.
For more information, please refer to an article Connection Account Requirements for Planner.
6. As the connection is added, you can link the PPM Express project to the Planner plan.
If you would like to link the PPM Express project to an existing Planner plan, choose the 'Select plan' option (is chosen by default), open Select plan drop-down and select the required plan from the list.
Check the “Connect to plan group” checkbox in order to link to the plan group as well.
Please note: in case you uncheck the “Connect to plan group” checkbox, you can link the PPM Express project to the plan group later. If you decide to connect to plan group alongside plan linking, find details on available options for group linking here.
Press the Link Plan button to link the selected plan to the PPM Express project.
If you can't find your plan, click on the 'Try to select plan's Office 365 group' button.
In this case, an additional field 'Group' will be added and you can select the required group.
This functionality can be useful for cases when the user that is linking the projects is a member of the selected plan in Planner but has not opened this plan yet.
If you would like to create a new plan in Planner and link it to the PPM Express project, select the 'Create plan' option, type the name of your new plan.
Check the “Connect to plan group” checkbox if you would like to link to the plan group as well.
Press Create plan button to create the plan in Planner and link the newly created plan to the PPM Express project.
Project linking will start immediately.