First project import from JIRA
This article describes the steps of the first data import and synchronizing items and assignments from Jira Cloud version or Jira Server.
In this scenario, we consider that you are importing your projects for the first time.
Importing Projects from Jira
To start importing data from Jira to PPM Express, perform the following steps:
1. Sign up to PPM Express using Office365 or Google account.
On Portfolios, Projects or Resources page select to open Actions drop-down and choose Import Projects option.
On the Import Projects to PPM Express page, choose the source system - Jira.
In the Connection section select the 'Add new connection' option.
As you select the 'Add new connection' option, the 'Create connection' window will be opened.
In this window you will need to provide the following:
- Your JiraSite URL;
- Your account in the Login field.
Please note: Jira connection account should have both 'Access on site' and 'Jira Software' options enabled. This condition applies to projects of all types.
Also, for projects of the Classic type the account should have either one of the following roles: Trusted or Site Administrator:
Or the synchronization account should be added to one of the default groups or custom group with the following permission: Global Permission Administer Jira. This permission can be granted to a group of users in Jira.
For Open Next-Gen projects, there are no additional requirements, the connection account should only have both 'Access on site' and 'Jira Software' options enabled.
For Private Next-Gen projects, the synchronization account should have both 'Access on site' and 'Jira Software' options enabled and should be added to this project (at least as a viewer).
- API Token.
Please note: In order to add a connection you should specify API token. Find more details on how to create an API token in this article.
If you need to connect Jira Server to PPM Express, provide the following in the 'Create connection' window :
- Your Jira Server site URL.
Please note: To add Jira Server connection to PPM Express, Jira Server should have an internet connection and 'https' protocol. Jira Server version should be 8.6 and higher.
- Your account in the Login field.
Please note: Jira account used as a connection should be a member of the default Jira Administrators group.
- Your password in the 'API token or Password' field.
Please note: It is not possible to select Jira boards for import in Jira Server. However, you can link your existing PPM Express project to any Jira board.
3. Click the Next > Import projects button.
4. On the next step choose the issues you want to import into PPM Express by marking the corresponding check-boxes in the list.
5. Select the board in case you need to synchronize iterations from the Jira project.
Please note: PPM Express will synchronize iterations from the selected board.
- In case "No Board" is displayed in the Project Board column - the Jira project has no boards.
- In case the board is selected - the Jira project has only one board and iterations from this board will be synchronized. You can select "No Board" if necessary.
- In case no data is selected in the Project Board column next to the project - the Jira project has several boards. You can select either of the boards or select "No Boards" if necessary.
6. Click on the Import button.
Depending on the amount of data to process, this operation may need some time. You can see the import progress.
Please note: By default PPM Express imports Jira items using their original names, but you may change the name of any plan you import by clicking on its name in the Name in the PPM Express column.
As soon as the project import is complete, you will see Already linked status for the linked Projects.
To exit the Import Projects screen, just click on the left part of the page outside the Import Project screen.
First, you will get to the step where you can add another Connection if required. After the first import operation is complete, you can select another Jira account to import data from.
If you do not need to import more Projects to PPM Express, click on the left part of the page outside the Import Project screen once again.
Your imported Projects will appear on the Projects page in PPM express.
Importing Resources from Jira
In a very similar way, you can import your Resources from Jira to PPM Express.
Please note: Some of the resources in the list may have Already linked status. These resources were assigned to the projects you have already imported and thus added to PPM Express automatically.
On Portfolios, Projects or Resources page select to open Actions drop-down and choose Import Resources option.
The Import resource page is organized similarly to the Import project page.
As you have already added a connection, you can select an existing Jira connection to import resources from. Click Next > Select Resources button.
Mark the corresponding resources in the list and click on the Import button.
As the import process is completed, you will see Already linked status next to the Resources selected for import.
To exit the Import Resources screen, just double-click on the left part of the page outside the Import Resources screen.
Now you can navigate to one of the projects we have just imported. The following PPM Express project sections can be populated with data from Jira: Team, Schedule.
To see the assignments and the number of tasks and bugs currently assigned to each of them, navigate to the Team section.
To manage your project, use the control panel in the upper right part of the project details page:
- Force sync project. This button allows manually synchronizing your project with the linked item at the source system. If it's grayed out, it means that sync is currently in progress.
- Linked project. Opens the linked project in Jira.
- Link Project. Opens Configure connections menu for the current project allowing changing the linked item at the source system or unlinking the project completely.