How to export/import project sections items to/from .csv file
In this article, we will review how to export/import project section items to/from the .csv file.
For this purpose, we will be using export and import options that are available for all sections except Team, Schedule, Details, and Statuses as they do not have a table view. Only the items from the sections that have table view can be copied over.
The items from the project section will be exported to the .csv file format and then this file can be used to import the information from the .csv file to the project section of the required project.
This functionality is available for the Portfolio sections as well, but we will review the flow on the example of the Project sections.
Please note: Users who have permissions to view projects can only export the information from the project section to the .csv file format. To be able to import this information to a different project, users should have permission to edit the projects.
Please note: Only PPM Express data that was added manually can be copied over. Data that was synchronized from the external systems can not be copied from one project section to another.
To copy the items form the project section of one project to another one perform the following:
1. Open the Project Details page of the project where you would like to copy the items from.
2. Navigate to the required project section and select the items you would like to copy over (Key Dates as an example).
Please note: If you select the timeline view that is available for the Key Dates section, only the fields included in the timeline view will be exported to the .csv file.
Please note: Only the selected items will be exported to the .csv file.
Only those fields that are included in the project section will be exported to the .csv file. If you need to include more fields to the .csv file, it is required to add these fields to the project section view via the Configure Columns menu first.
3. As the required items are selected, click the File => Export option to export the items to the .csv file.
4. Open the .csv file and check the information there, if required.
Please note: Values in the existing columns of the .csv file can be edited if required. However we do not recommend editing the information in this file as the purpose of this functionality is not editing the data via .csv file, but copying the same information from one project section to another one. If you edit the information in this file, the edited data will be imported to a different project. However, if you select to import the same file or edited file to the project section where it was exported from initially, duplicated will be created.
Also, if editing the values (especially dates, statuses) in the .csv file, it is required to preserve the format used in the columns, as a different format is not supported. For example, if the value is provided as 'At Risk' and will be changed to 'AT RISK' or 'at risk', the changes will not be applied.
5. Open the Project Details page of the project where you would like to import these items to.
6. Navigate to the required section. If it does not have any items yet, you may click the Import option at once to start importing the data.
If you have items for this section already, select the Import option from the options panel.
7. Select the required file from your PC and click Open.
8. The items will be imported to the project section at once.
The same .csv file can be re-used to copy the items to the sections of other projects within PPM Express.